Well well well… we meet again!! Welcome back to Spoonful of Daydreams everyone. It’s been about 6 months since our last post and boy has the world changed…. from the continued pandemic to a change in the President of the US to the horrific racial injustices coming to light. It’s been a wild few months. I stopped posting because it didn’t feel right to keep posting about food when the whole world was in turmoil.
But now that we can somewhat see the light at the end of the pandemic tunnel I feel comfortable enough to come back on here and drop new recipes and eventually restaurant reviews again. Things will look a little different here because I recently found out I have a few sensitivities (gluten, eggs, soy, peanuts, and sesame seeds) so I’ve been working on phasing out gluten and eggs entirely first. Soy is hard because it’s literally in everything, but eventually we will get there.
So here’s the first new recipe in a while! Ladies and gentleman I present to you Homemade Gluten Free and Egg Free Chocolate Sprinkle Donuts!
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sugar free pancake syrup (or you can use 1/3 cup pure maple syrup and 1 tsp vanilla extract- I didn’t have either of these available so I improvised a little and it was great!)
- 1/4 cup melted ghee
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 1/2 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 almond flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder (gluten-free)
- 1/2 sea salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (nestle tollhouse is gluten free!)
- gluten-free sprinkles
- Donut pan
- nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat donut pan with nonstick spray. (I have a silicon donut pan so no need to spray it.)
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, or a stand-up mixing bowl mix the sugar, coconut milk, syrup, ghee, and applesauce. Mix until smooth-ish. It may have some bumps, but that’s okay! set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the flour, almond flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until a smooth batter forms.
- Transfer batter to a piping bag or a resealable plastic bag and cut a medium hole at the bottom corner. Divide batter evenly among the donut molds OR just spoon the batter into the molds and make it as pretty as you can. bake for 15-18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a donut ring comes out clean.
- Transfer the donuts to a cooling rack and let cool for about an hour. (I put mine in the freezer on the rack for a bit to help speed up this process.
- When the donuts are cooled. Put the semi-sweet chocolate chips into a microwave safe bowl. Put the bowl into the microwave for 20 seconds. Remove the bowl and stir the chocolate chips. Repeat this step until the chocolate is all melted. You want to make sure never to put the chocolate chips in the microwave for more than 20 seconds at a time or they will burn!
- Dip one side of each donut into chocolate and place on the cooling rack. Sprinkle on the sprinkles.
Store donuts in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days!